Home :: FAQs


Q Is it true that I have to wait till my child is 8 years old to have him /her tested for dyslexia, dyspraxia or Auditory Processing problems?

A No. I can test for this as young as 4 years of age.

Q Where do I go to get my kid tested?

A I do skype assessments so can test your kid where ever you are. There are other test centres around the world. If you have been recommended somewhere by a friend or colleague then try them.

Q Is it really worth getting my child assessed, what if s/he is just lazy or dumb?

A I have been assessing dyslexics and dyspraxics for over 35 years. I have assessed thousand upon thousand. In all that time I have only ever been brought 1 kid who turned out to have global learning problems, and none who were just lazy. If you, as a parent, suspect your child is dyslexic or dyspraxic trust your instincts on this.

Q What is the best age to have my chid assessed.

A As young as possible.

Q Do tinted lenses help dyslexics?

A Many dyslexics find reading easier if the text is viewed through a coloured tint. So do many dyspraxic and Autistic people, but you need to know which colour is best for you. Visit the Dyslexic Centre Australia site for more information.

Q Is Irlen syndrome a form of dyslexia?

A Most dyslexics have this but there is much more to dyslexia than this.

Q Is Auditory Processing Disorder or Difficulty anything to do with dyslexia?

A Most dyslexics have this and it is one aspect of dyslexia. Also many Dyspraxics have a form of this.

Q How can I help overcome Auditory Processing Disorder.

A I recommend the earobics CDs. Make sure you follow the instructions. You also need to set up a good reward system as kids sometimes find it hard

Q: I have bought one of your downloadable items and I cannot find it on my computer. What has happened?

A: We sell through paypal and it is their policy to leave the downloadable item in your download folder for 120 hours only. If you did not take it out in that time it will have gone. Contact admin and we will renew it for you.

Q: Can you tell me what dysgraphia is and how can it be helped.

A: Dysgraphia is Greek for "having problems with writing". Therefore any person with writing difficulties could be described as Dysgraphic. However to help that person you have to know why s/he is having the problems. It could be due to a number of things, including dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD or Auditory Processing Disorder. It is important to know the exact nature of the cause because then you can address the cure. This is why I do detailed assessments.

Q: Can you tell me what Dyscalculia is and how can it be helped.

A: Dyscalculia is Greek for "having problems with maths". Anyone having maths problems can be said to have this. Again it is important to know why the person is having problems with maths. It could be a wide range of things, from not being able to read the questions to dyspraxia, ADHD, ADD. You need to know this to help it. This is why I do detailed assessments.

Q: What is meant by multi-sensory learning.

A: I talk about this in more detail in my books on dyslexia.
You have to use as many senses as possible. When learning letter sounds, the kid has to see the shape of the letter, feel the shape of the letter by writing it, hearing the letter sound, not the name, and saying the letter sound all at the same time. This is what my course "Dead Easy Phonics" does. It has audio files repeating each letter, blend and digraph sound.

Q: My child is very behind at school. Is a good idea to keep him back a year?

A: If your child is behind and is bright, then s/he is not learning because s/he is not being taught the right way for him/her. Doing another year of the same teaching will not help, because s/he failed to learn from the first year, then s/he will just fail again if the teaching remains the same.
If the teaching has been adjusted to be tailor made for your child, and you are sure that your child is learning from the new approach then keeping your kid back a year gives him/her more time to catch up.

Q: If I get my child assessed as dyslexic or dyspraxic will she get extra help at school or a teachers aid?

A: Dyslexia and dyspraxia are recognized in NSW Australia as a learning disability and your child will get extra funding if you live there. It is also recognised in the UK and many other countries. However it is not recognized in the rest of Australia. But getting extra funding or help is useless if your child’s teacher does not understand what dyslexia is as then s/he will not know the wisest way to spend the extra funding. That is why you need your child’s assessment to be solution based.